On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 22:08, Sam MacDonald wrote:
> Run laptop batteries down to the end of the charge for the first month.
> Boot to a DOS diskette and turn off all power saving in the bios.  Once
> this has been done several times your battery will hold a better charge
> and have a longer life.

This advice is no longer really helpful with newer laptops, due to the
lithium ion chemistry of the battery packs.  Lithium ion or lithium
polymer packs do not suffer from memory effects, and are only limited by
a number of charge/discharge cycles.  Therefore, it is still more
efficient to use the charge to the end, but draining them completely is
not helpful like it used to be with NiCad chemistry batteries.

If the pack does not have good voltage management, the lithium ion packs
can be damaged by discharging too far.  If a lithium cell goes below
2.8V for any appreciable amount of time, it is usually damaged.  When
next charged it will vent gas (flammable gas!).  Fortunately most packs
have good cell management.

We use lithium packs similar to those in ipaqs/laptops in our robotics
research at the U of M, and have had some close calls with damaged
batteries.

Hope this information is useful.

-Chuck Hays
lists at chuckhays.net