> Of course laptop mode is good to use, but don't over-estimate the
> benefit of using it.  It will not be of much benefit to CPU bound tasks
> which rarely do disk I/O.  The disk shouldn't be written to when there's
> nothing in the cache to write, so the sync every 5 seconds could
> effectively be a NOP.

I've tested this a bit, at least with ext3. Even with *nothing* running,
killed off everything but a shell, ext3 writes *something* to disk every
minute or so. The disk never spins down. Dunno about reiser.

But on a real running system, there's definitely going to be something
keeping the disk spinning all the time. If there's so much as one dirty
block, the kernel will sync it within 1 minute. The laptop mode script
tunes this up to 10 minutes, something far more useful for power saving.
But also increases the possibility of losing data should your battery
die or otherwise hang.