"Matthew S. Hallacy" <poptix at techmonkeys.org> wrote:

>I'm still regretting the day I heard about debian, but personal grudges
>aside.. You may want to look into the RedHat/Fedora offerings, kickstart
>installs (remote or local) are damned nifty without any debian hackery
>(ie, it's built into the installer, not something someone hacked in), you
>also have the option of an attended remote install where you can netboot
>the system then install via VNC.

>I personally have a setup where I can plug in and netboot any system with
>a full installation done in 15 minutes without any remote hands necessary,
>it's /very/ nifty and caused no headaches or loss of hair. The systems I'm
>netbooting have no CD-ROM or floppy drives, and pulling each one apart to
>hook up a second drive for imaging would be a waste of my time.

I recently did a Fedora Core 2 install via ftp.  Very nice.

However, later when I used a GUI to add a package I didn't initially
install, anaconda asks for CD #3?  I did an ftp install!  I don't have
any Fedora Core 2 CDs!

ftp installs of SuSE and Debian handle this situation by installing the
requested distribution packages and any packages in the dependency graph.

Why does Fedora Core 2 ask for "non-existent" CDs to add packages to an
ftp install?  Simply put, the default media for an ftp install should be
the original ftp server, certainly not CDs!

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>