On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 09:24:49PM -0500, greg wrote:
> so the big question in my head is, if i go with debian, will i regret it
> in the long run, just because i wanted to do funky remote restalls.

I'm still regretting the day I heard about debian, but personal grudges
aside.. You may want to look into the RedHat/Fedora offerings, kickstart
installs (remote or local) are damned nifty without any debian hackery
(ie, it's built into the installer, not something someone hacked in), you
also have the option of an attended remote install where you can netboot
the system then install via VNC.

I personally have a setup where I can plug in and netboot any system with
a full installation done in 15 minutes without any remote hands necessary,
it's /very/ nifty and caused no headaches or loss of hair. The systems I'm
netbooting have no CD-ROM or floppy drives, and pulling each one apart to
hook up a second drive for imaging would be a waste of my time.