On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 16:39, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> On 07/25 08:38 , Dave Erickson wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 18:45, Randy Clarksean wrote:
> > >
> > > Are any of you running a moderately decent video card on Suse 8 or 9?
> <snip>
> > Any recent NVIDIA based card.
>
> I disagree. I've had poor luck with those drivers. They do some nifty
> things (3D acceleration across both heads, auto-detect external monitor on a
> laptop); but my main problems with them are:
> - they often screw up the console when switching out of X. If you ever
>   leave X (either shutting it down nicely, or ctrl+alt+f1); it might put
>   gibberish on the text console, and you might not be able to resume a sane X
>   session. IMHO, this is unforgiveable.
> - For better or worse, they don't use large parts of the X subsystem. One of
>   the places this shows up is in interpreting X modelines. So if you're like
>   me, and have a highly-tweaked modeline on one of your monitors, it won't let
>   you drive it as hard.
> - Xinerama support is badly emulated (again, they aren't using that part of
>   X). So if you have two monitors of different resolutions, the driver can't
>   comprehend a non-rectangular array of screens.
>
> > get one with dual VGA outputs and try dual monitors!
>
> ATIs will do this as well; in some cases they support 3D accel on both heads
> (using 'mergedfb'); and there's some hope of getting a decent X driver for
> ATI hardware in the future, so you're not stuck with the hassles of
> binary-only drivers.
>
> but maybe I'm just too damn picky about my video hardware. :)
>
> that said; nVidia probably still has the fastest 3D accelleration under
> Linux (but I don't know). so if you're willing to sacrifice everything in
> the name of speed, they might still be the way to go.

I can only speak to the experience I have had with these two brands. I
haven't owned an ATI card since my 8MB Xpert98. I couldn't get GL to
work on it at all but that was a long time ago. ;-)

Since then I had a Voodoo which was nice but again, the drivers sucked.

I have had 4 different NVIDIA cards in various computers since then and
I have been very happy with them.

I did experience the jumbled console several times but it hasn't
happened for a long time.

Now my Gentoo desktop has an FX5600 with dual vga's feeding 2 19"
samsung's. It works really good. I first set it up as two separate
desktops which only the mouse could pass between. This is good in a lot
of ways because a: you don't need to use a xinerama aware window
manager, b: it's cool to have different GL screensavers running on each
screen, c: it's easy to set up and works real good.

Now I am using twinview which is neat because it acts like one big
desktop. So screensavers span both monitors, i can drag widows back and
forth etc...

3d performance is absolutely perfect. Much cleaner and faster than this
same hardware under WinXP.

Were talking 290+ FPS @ 2304 x 864 x 24 with:

'gears -root -delay 17655 -cycles 5 -planetary -fps'

Good enough for me ;-)

ps, I haven't had any crashes lately so I can't comment to that.

hope this help somebody.

dave