Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

>- they often screw up the console when switching out of X. If you ever
>  leave X (either shutting it down nicely, or ctrl+alt+f1); it might put
>  gibberish on the text console, and you might not be able to resume a sane X
>  session. IMHO, this is unforgiveable.
>- For better or worse, they don't use large parts of the X subsystem. One of
>  the places this shows up is in interpreting X modelines. So if you're like
>  me, and have a highly-tweaked modeline on one of your monitors, it won't let
>  you drive it as hard.
>- Xinerama support is badly emulated (again, they aren't using that part of
>  X). So if you have two monitors of different resolutions, the driver can't
>  comprehend a non-rectangular array of screens.

I never had a problem switching into the term ( I do it often, in fact I
usually run 2 X sessions and switch between the two, and the terminal ),
but I would agree with you on the xinerama support, it can really suck
sometimes, but having a window manager support xinerama helps alot (I
use pekwm for an example).

Either way, Nvidias drivers are open source ( correct me if I'm wrong )
and are very well supported. The ATI drivers are real weak in this area,
and aren't very well supported. If you are choosing between Nvidia or
ATI, definetly get Nvidia. Expessially if you are going to do any gaming
of any kind.

Hopefully this helps somewhat,
Todd Mueller