Have you tried using "sndconfig" from the command line?

I have an IBM Type 6862 with on board sound and ALSA won't work with the
  onboard soundcard, but "sndconfig" makes it work perfectly, and that
machine is running Mandrake v9.1.

Heck, I can even play MP3s and CDs at the same time, makes for some
interesting sound coming out of the speakers.

Todd Young

--
Todd Young
7079 Dawn Ave. E.