On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 01:38:18PM -0500, Yaron wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Jim Crumley wrote:
>
> >What does dmesg say when you plug in the mouse?  You may have to
> >use usbmgr or something similar to notify X when the usb mouse is
> >connected.
>
> dmesg shows everything just fine... I'll try this usbmgr thing as it was
> not installed. Do I have to do anything with it or just the defaults?

I don't know - I haven't used usbmgr with X.  Its just my guess
that there might be some kind of helper that some distros have by
default that is passing a message to X to let it know about the
usb mouse.

So for people that hotplugging the mouse works for, do you have
usbmgr or hotplug or something similar installed?

This
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/X_Windows/Q_20709086.html,
leads me to think that hotplug or usbmgr might be the solution.

While this
http://lists.svlug.org/pipermail/svlug/2003-April/044131.html
suggests that
Option "AllowMouseOpenFail"  "1"
might help.

Anyway, I'd say try hotplug instead of usbmgr and see what happens.