Justin,
A possible WINS issue is the resolution time it takes to resolve the
NetBIOS name of the Samba server.  This is typically the WINS server job
but if the Samba box doesn't report to WINS then it has no idea.  You
could try to set up a local resolution using the
%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\LMHOSTS.SAM file on the Windows boxes.
Follow one of the examples in the file and create a local mapping for
the Samba server name to its IP.  Save the file and issue a "NBTSTAT -R"
(the capital R is case sensitive) to reload the local NetBIOS cache.
Try it on one and if it works, make the change on all machines and make
a note somewhere on the Samba box to update them if the IP is changed.

A simpler solution may be to connect using the IP address instead of the
name.

> I have been assigned the task of setting up a linux samba server at
work
> to replace a windows box that was plagued with viruses.  It seems to
be
> working alright, but if a user is inactive for about 10 minutes it
seems
> like their connection times out and it takes about 15 seconds for the
next
> action that they take.  It doesn't really bother me, but some of the
> people who will be using this will be less than forgiving for
something
> like that.

> like this before, and the only differences I can think of are that
this is
> a much larger network than I've had a samba server on before, and I've
> never had a wins server.  This server is not the wins server.  It is
using
> 2 other wins servers already on the network.
> I am not THE MIS guy here, so I can't make any changes to the network
as a
> whole, and it is unlikely that any suggestions I pass along will be
taken
> seriously.
> Also, this issue seems to be affecting only samba, as I have had an
active
> ssh connection to the box this whole time.
> Am I leaving anything out?
> TIA
>
> --
> Justin Kremer <kremer at ringworld.org>

How are the Windows boxes connecting?  Mapped drive? Shortcut?

Rob Bentz