On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 02:08:23PM -0500, Tom Penney wrote:
> I want to make sure I am understanding ptr records correctly before I
> have to go to the wall with the PHB's on this. We have a /29 block of IP
> addresses though our service provider. The way I understand it I can not
> set up PTR records for a small block of ip's like that. Am I right? One
> can only be authoritative for a whole class c block of 256 ip's,(/24)
> because of the way the .in-addr.arpa. domains are named.
> (123.123.123.in-addr.arpa.)
>
> If I am correct shouldn't the provider automatically have ptr records
> set up for every small block of ip's they assign? I know visi does. I
> have requested this service provider (eschelon) set up reverse lookup
> for our ip's. They had told me not to worry about it because "it is all
> automatic". Well there are no prt records and the PHB's think I on
> crack.
>
> so my question to you folks who are not on crack is: Can I set up
> reverse lookup on a small block of ip's or does this have to be done by
> the ISP?

As far as I understand it - there is a way for the ISP to delegate the
PTR records to you, using CNAME records.  But, generally, that's more
work than just setting the PTR records (expecially if they just generate
them).

Regardless, there is nothing you can do about it if the ISP won't do
set them, as far as I know.

Does you isp have no reverses set?  Or, just reverses that you don't
like?  If the former, they should set them.  If the latter, well.. it's
just up to them how nice they want to be - but it's certainly not
required to let you set them.

Dan