I want to make sure I am understanding ptr records correctly before I
have to go to the wall with the PHB's on this. We have a /29 block of IP
addresses though our service provider. The way I understand it I can not
set up PTR records for a small block of ip's like that. Am I right? One
can only be authoritative for a whole class c block of 256 ip's,(/24)
because of the way the .in-addr.arpa. domains are named.
(123.123.123.in-addr.arpa.)

If I am correct shouldn't the provider automatically have ptr records
set up for every small block of ip's they assign? I know visi does. I
have requested this service provider (eschelon) set up reverse lookup
for our ip's. They had told me not to worry about it because "it is all
automatic". Well there are no prt records and the PHB's think I on
crack.

so my question to you folks who are not on crack is: Can I set up
reverse lookup on a small block of ip's or does this have to be done by
the ISP?

--
Tom Penney <blots at visi.com>