Josh Welch wrote:

>So I've had to restore files one to many times for our programmers, so
>I want to get some sort of versioning software in place to make it
>easier to roll back changes they make to their code. My first thought
>was CVS, it's been around awhile, I've played with it a little bit for
>use with config files, it seems well supported and the price is
>right. My boss, however, would like to take a look at some commercial
>packages as well. So if any developer types could let me know what
>they've worked with, if it was any good and so forth, I'd appreciate
>it. You can feel free to mail me off-list to keep the signal to noise
>ratio good. I can summarize for the list if anybody would like to hear
>what I get back.

Here's a nice comparison of both open and closed source Software
Configuration Management (SCM) systems:

http://better-scm.berios.de/comparison/

Forget CVS.  It has many flaws that are fixed by better open source SCMs
such as Subversion.  Subversion also works equally well on
Linux/BSD/UNIX and Win32, unlike some of the better known open and
particularly closed source SCMs.

Forget closed source SCMs.  There's no particular reason to believe that
closed source software tools are better than closed source software
tools, much less worth the licensing and support fees.

Every closed source SCM I've used has had flaws that the owning company
has refused to fix.  These are flaws that would be fixed in a matter of
days in open source SCMs.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>