On Wed,  7 Jul 2004 10:56:59 -0500, Josh Welch <tclug at joshwelch.com> wrote:

> So I've had to restore files one to many times for our programmers, so I want to
> get some sort of versioning software in place to make it easier to roll back
> changes they make to their code. My first thought was CVS, it's been around
> awhile, I've played with it a little bit for use with config files, it seems
> well supported and the price is right.

If you can talk the PHB into a non-commercial package, I'd check out
subversion.  When svn v1.1 comes out, it'll have exclusive locking
capabilities.  At that point, I'm poised to convert our  13+gig CVS
repository over to svn.

Subversion's a breeze to get set up, and there are GUI clients for
both linux and windows for it.  Here are a few links for more info:

http://subversion.tigris.org/ - main svn page
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ - GUI client for windows
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/index.html - svn reference book

-Erik