Hey everyone,

I've got several Postgres databases on a machine that I need to backup. I've
got a backup shell script that works fine, but it runs as the "postgres"
user and I need a directory where I can save the backups. This is a Debian
server.

I see there's a /var/backups folder so I thought maybe I would create a
/var/backups/postgres folder and save the backups there. I set the
permissions and ownership of the directory to:

drwxrwsr-x    2 root     postgres      160 Jan 27 13:50 postgres

I get the following error when I run the backup script as the postgres user:

pg_dump: [custom archiver] could not open archive file
/var/backups/postgres/mtdb.out: Permission denied

What am I doing wrong?

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson