>From: "Ben Bargabus" <ben_b at ppdonline.com>
>Subject: [TCLUG] Better solution for spam?.
>
>Hello,
>My spam levels are getting ridiculous again even with spam-assassin up
>and running.  I'm thinking I want to basically do an entirely white-list
>approach with some sort of system for people to get on my white list.
>For example, a non-white list member sends me an email, the mail gets
>logged and a reply is sent automatically explaining that my spam filter
>has flagged them as possible spam and they should send me an email with
>an id number (unique to them) indicating that they are not a spam-bot.
>If they respond their original message gets through and they are added
>to my white list, if they don't respond within a given time limit the
>logged mail is sent to /dev/null.  Anyway, this seems like such a
sensible approach that someone must have something similar out there so
>I don't have to write it myself.  Anybody know of a program like this?
>Anyone have a better suggestion?
>Thanks,
>Ben.

We're using confirm (search sourceforge.net confirm). It doesn't work out of the box. After a fair amount of tweaking, we got it to work. It's very basic. People sending e-mail need to simply reply to the confirmation message. However, after you fix the bugs, it works very well at eliminating spam. We set up a cron task in the wee hours that collects all the garbage e-mail and sends them to us as one big e-mail so we can go through it quickly (if we want) and see if there's anything worthwile (usually not). Setting up the cron task is  explained in the documentation.

You need to be confortable with procmail scripts to fix confirm. We're not, so it was a bit of work for us to clean it up.

Also, we developed a simple web form and script so we could add people to our personal white listes as needed. Thus, if we expected an e-mail from someone, we could avoid the automatic confirmation e-mail sent to them.