ahh yes, the infamous
_if_you_used_distribution_X_you'd_be_so_much_better_off_response. i'm
confident someone will shortly chime in with a package manager that
wrappers the pain of another package manager apt2foo, foo2rpm and
rpm2foo are all waiting in the wings to solve the problem.

the problem isn't the inability to install backuppc or package/apt/rpm
foo.  it's support and documentation and polishing the rough edges to
minimize folks pain.

there's a lot of value in paying for somebody that provides support and
documentation, that accepts enhancement requests and acts on them and
can provide you with a roadmap. not to mention someone that provides a
stable platform for folks to deliver 3rd party packages on top of.
there are a lot of things that are simply best handled by a company
that's getting paid to handle the mundane stuff.  there's a good reason
cygnus had customers willing to spend a lot of $$s for compilers and
tools which were open source.  they could give a roadmap and meet
timelines for gcc.

matt - i feel your pain and all i can say is that it's a constant
tradeoff between putting a $ value on your time and the objective vs.
finding an off the shelf solution.  if you're wrappering your own
solution well, find something you think is stable and figure out its
intricacies. sorry.  personally, i'd rather the OS and all of the
assorted baggage stayed out of my way so i can focus on solving the
problem.

i've been a system administrator and i still have to play one on
occasion in front of customers. but i've got far more interesting and
profitable things to wrestle with than silly baseline functionality.
;-)

On Jan 20, 2004, at 4:47 PM, Nate Carlson wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Matt Murphy wrote:
>> 	I'm trying to get backuppc working, just so I can backup the damn
>> server, and it's like pulling teeth. First the perl modules won't
>> compile, which took 6+ hours to solve, then I can't figure out
>> whether I
>> have mod_perl installed or not, and even if I do it's telling me to
>> change the init.d script and expecting that I magically know what's
>> supposed to be changed??? WTF??? I'm supposed to be a programmer now
>> too? The other option is recompiling perl, THAT SOUNDS LIKE A BUNDLE
>> OF
>> FUN!
>
> I know you don't want help, but under Debian (testing or unstable), you
> can just do apt-get install backuppc.  :)

{snipped - misc. signatures}

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC