Paul Murphy of www.winface.com (seems to no longer exist) and who had a slew
of *nix TCO articles on Linux World and wrote the Unix Guide to
Defenestration used to have a script on his site that he used to track his
time.  You logged in via ssh or whatever to you box and he aliased a command
to append a date and time stamp and what you were doing to a file.  He later
ran the file into excel for a report.  I'm sure many of the more skilled
people here could come up with a one liner to do the same.