Hello.

I am having some problems with using unicode (Russian) filenames on my Li=
nux
workstation and my FreeBSD server.

I use grip to rip and encode all my CDs, and some of them are Russian. No=
w, when
grip gets the CD information of off freedb.org it comes up with unicode n=
ames
for the tracks and other ID3 information.

Using this information, it creates filenames that have the author and tra=
ck name
in them. Here is the dilema:

When I view files, I get names like `:2564=E4:2564=EF' (Rissian F and ld)=
 and cannon
access them. If I use scp to upload these files to my FreeBSD server, the=
y show
up as ????? in the console and as other cryptic names in the Samba share.

If I go to my fathers PC that has native Russian support on Windows XP, a=
nd I
create a Russian char-set folder in a Samba share then I can see it in th=
e Saba share (and
read/write to it) but it still shows up as `:2564=E4:2564=EF' if I mount =
the Samba
share on Linux (Mandrake 9.2). I am using Windows XP SP1, FreeBSD 4.9-REL=
EASE,
and Linux (2.4.22-10mdk).

Strange.

Could someone please advise me on what to do about this please? Sorry if =
this is
extremely n00b, but I am not very familular to unicode and all that jazz.

Thanks for your time.

--=20
andrei bazhgin | aftermath
programmer