Shawn wrote:
> cdrecord -scanbus picks up my DVD/CD-R/W drive but not my tape drive
> which is SCSI.

it's probably seeing the dvd/cdrw via ide-scsi module but if the kernel
fails to recoginize your scsi controller card, it surely won't see the
scsi tape drive.  what scsi card are you using?

> > is lpd running?		ps -ef |grep lp
> >
> No.  When I start lpd then try to print I get the message below.  lpd
> is set to start automatically, but won't on boot.
>
> root at fjorn:/etc/rc.d# lp -dhp960c rc.bind
> Status Information, attempt 1 of 3:
> sending job 'root at fjorn+3' to hp960c at localhost
>  connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
>  connected to 'localhost'
>  requesting printer hp960c at localhost
>  job 'root at fjorn+3' transfer to hp960c at localhost failed
>   error 'NONZERO RFC1179 ERROR CODE FROM SERVER' with ack 'ACK_FAIL'
>   sending str '^Bhp960c' to hp960c at localhost
>  error msg: 'spool queue for 'hp960c' does not exist on server
> fjorn.int.mn-ttkd.org' error msg: '   non-existent printer or you need
> to run 'checkpc -f'' Waiting 10 seconds before retry
>
> Warning - hp960c: Bad printcap entry - missing 'sd' or 'client' entry?

I don't use CUPS but from this error, it looks like you haven't created
the printer spool directory "sd".  Try adding ":sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp960c"
to /etc/printcap and make sure that /var/spool/lpd/hp960c exists and that
it's group "lp" and mode 775 then restart lpd.

> Yes, I can see the files that way.  Also, I just tried a standard "su"
> without the - to see if I can see the files and I can.  Must be
> something with the color set to display the files.  The files I can't
> see are anything with a .mpg or .mpeg extension.  I'll see if I can
> track down how to change these settings.

try /etc/DIR_COLORS; you just need to change the color for that file
extension, something like this should fix you up:

.mpg  01;35
.mpeg 01;35
--
scot