On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Jeff Nelson wrote:
> I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that all of these distributions
> suffer from a common problem: they don't expect people to run them on
> laptops.

I wouldn't say that.

Many distributions run just fine on laptops; it just sounds like your
laptop happens to have bleeding-edge hardware. Bleeding-edge hardware
support for laptop stuff always seems to take longer than the desktop
equivilents, probably because many people aren't using it yet.

ACPI's a whole different beast - most problems with APCI are due to the
hardware vendor tweaking their APCI tables for Windows, and the Linux ACPI
guys then have to work around the problems that are introduced by those
hacks. IF your laptop followed the ACPI specification 100%, chances are
it'd work just fine under Linux. Again, it'll take a bit for your laptop
to be supported, and if it's not a really common model, it may not be
supported for quite some time (if ever).

As far as your wireless card goes, it's most likely going to be one of the
cards that there are no standard Linux drivers for. If that's the case,
you may be able to use the Windows driver loader from:

http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/

to get it working. If you can provide the output of /sbin/lspci, we may be
able to tell you what kind of card it is.