Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and offers of help. Last night I
tried two things.

First, I tried gentoo because I thought it would be cool to try to build a
system from scratch. Unfortunately, gentoo's boot disk does not recognize
the network adaptor (Broadcom BCM5705), and trying to manually add a driver
(modprobe bcm5700, the closest match I could find) failed to load the
driver. (I tried all the other network drivers I could find with the same
results -- no eth0 device.) Also the boot sequence could not autoload
modules for fan, thermal, button, battery and ac. (I booted with acpi
turned on). So it looks like the boot kernel for gentoo isn't ready for
this laptop yet.

Second, I tried the SuSE boot CD. It picked a screen resolution of 800x600
rather than 1024x768, but both sound and network were enabled. I didn't
look any further to see if the wireless 802.11b device was up or not.  I
did get the silly "battery at 0%" errors, so the battery management stuff
doesn't work.

More experimentation later today: I think I've decided that the acpi
support in these kernels is not good enough, even in the 2.6 kernels. I'm
going to try to leave acpi disabled so apm can run. I also want to try
getting the sound on Mandrake to work one more time before I give up on it
completely. There's at least one more thing I can attempt.

I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that all of these distributions suffer
from a common problem: they don't expect people to run them on laptops.

-Jeff