Shawn wrote:
> I recently reloaded my desktop a couple of weeks ago, and I can't
> figure out some issues.  I did some googling, but didn't come up with
> conclusive answers.
>
> Tape drive:  DDS-3 drive, physically installed correctly but with the
> mt commands I don't get any response.  In Linux, it's as if the kernel
> is not seeing it.  On the Windows side, it sees the drive fine.  Do I
> need to recompile something into the kernel?

Check if the kernel sees your tape drive controller:  dmesg|more
look for 'scsi' (assuming you have a scsi tape drive)
also try 'cdrecord -scanbus'; this should work whether you're using scsi
or ide-scsi (scsi emulation).  You might need a kernel from the
'/kernels' directory from the slackware iso

> Printing: Sine upgrading to Slack 9.1, I can't print from apps or the
> command line.  I have lprng and CUPS installed, and I configured CUPS
> via the browser  localhost:631 the same as I did on previous Slack
> level.  I can print a test page fine, but can't from the command line.

is lpd running?		ps -ef |grep lp

> DVD+CD-R/W drive.  I looked, but didn't see anything for configuring
> this drive to allow me the DVD capabilities.  I have the line
> append="hdc=ide-scsi" in my lilo.conf for the writer, but I'd like to
> get the DVD portion working also...  tldp's DVD how-to is dated back
> in 2000 and doesn't have this info.

do you have dvd+rw-tools package installed?
it's under <cdrom>/slackware/ap/

> Finally, this is kinda odd..  When I scp a file over to another
> system, from within xterm I can't see the file when listing (ls -al,
> ls, etc) on the other system.  But there's a white spot there where
> the file is. Tab completion picks it up and displays the files name.
> If I got to my Win2K system and look at it thru Putty, the file can be
> seen.  This has happened to me on a couple of different files, and the
> file is at least readable to my id.  Even root won't show the file,
> except under tab completion or thru Putty.

sounds like something strange with either your xterm or window manager.
I suspect you wouldn't have this problem working from the console, ie,
NOT running X11. (from X11, CTRL+ALT+F1, login and do your 'ls')
--
scot