I recently reloaded my desktop a couple of weeks ago, and I can't
figure out some issues.  I did some googling, but didn't come up with
conclusive answers.

Tape drive:  DDS-3 drive, physically installed correctly but with the
mt commands I don't get any response.  In Linux, it's as if the kernel
is not seeing it.  On the Windows side, it sees the drive fine.  Do I
need to recompile something into the kernel?

Printing: Sine upgrading to Slack 9.1, I can't print from apps or the
command line.  I have lprng and CUPS installed, and I configured CUPS
via the browser  localhost:631 the same as I did on previous Slack
level.  I can print a test page fine, but can't from the command line.

shawnf at fjorn:~$ lp -dhp960c bookmark.htm
Status Information, attempt 1 of 3:
sending job 'shawnf at fjorn+961' to hp960c at localhost
 connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
 cannot open connection to localhost - Connection refused
Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol
and accepts connections from this host and from non-privileged (>1023)
ports Waiting 10 seconds before retry

It's an HP960c printer connected to an HP JetDirect170 box.  It worked
previously on other levels, but isn't now.  When I did some googling,
there were some answers from entering a line into the cups config
file, but they didn't help.  That was the best answer I could find,
others said that CUPS wasn't installed, to host file issues, etc.

DVD+CD-R/W drive.  I looked, but didn't see anything for configuring
this drive to allow me the DVD capabilities.  I have the line
append="hdc=ide-scsi" in my lilo.conf for the writer, but I'd like to
get the DVD portion working also...  tldp's DVD how-to is dated back
in 2000 and doesn't have this info.

Finally, this is kinda odd..  When I scp a file over to another
system, from within xterm I can't see the file when listing (ls -al,
ls, etc) on the other system.  But there's a white spot there where
the file is. Tab completion picks it up and displays the files name.
If I got to my Win2K system and look at it thru Putty, the file can be
seen.  This has happened to me on a couple of different files, and the
file is at least readable to my id.  Even root won't show the file,
except under tab completion or thru Putty.

I've been kind of stuck on these things the last couple of weeks, and
spent some time searching on these but haven't come up with conclusive
answers.  Can someone give me some pointers on these things please?

--
Shawn

 "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear -- not absence of
fear."	-Mark Twain

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"