On Thursday 15 January 2004 09:03 pm, Josh Trutwin wrote:
>  Is it ok if the system is running while
> doing a full system backup to tape?

Mostly.  But use the -X option to feed tar a list of locations not to backup.
Some good canidates might be:

/dev
/proc
/tmp
/var/tmp

The other caveot is live databases.  Unless you have a speciallized script you
pretty much have to shut down the database before backing it up.  If you have
an Oracle database especially that can't be shutdown then its time to go call
your friendly Veritas rep.

Oh yeah, one other thing I forgot.  For completeness, the IDE tape devices
are /dev/ht? (rewinding) and /dev/nht? (non-rewinding).

Also there are severall good packages out there for doing backups that are
much more robust than a tar wrapper but not as costly as Veritas.  Frankly
though most of my clients are currently very complex (Veritas) or very simple
(tar + mt) so I've kind've lost track of what the alternatives are currently.
I'd like to here what archiving programs everyone is using that fills in that
middle ground.

--

Ben Maas - Technology Architect
Open Technology Systems, LLC