On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Callum Lerwick wrote:

> > > I think you can boot to a command prompt directly by entering "linux
> > > single" at the grub prompt (if you're using grub)
> >
> > this is single user mode and redhats config tools may not work. they
> > require an X server and if i am not mistaken X requires multiuser mode
>
> As far as I've seen all of redhat's config/admin tools work primarily in
> textmode. The GNOME version is an additional frontend.

that used to be the case in older versions of redhat(netconfig,
Xconfigurator, sndconfig)

the later versions of redhat now use redhat-config-*
which start a minimal svga X server if none is started already.

iirc you can still use the old tools but they are not installed by
default.

> Besides, singe user mode just means no daemons are automatically
> started, there's really nothing stopping you from manually starting X
> other than probably needing to start xfs first. PAM may or may not stop
> anyone but root from logging in too.

i stand corrected, after testing on some boxes it appears that one can in
fact get X working in single user mode. path statements need to be
configured but otherwise everything works.

--
Munir Nassar
RedConcepts.NET