> > I think you can boot to a command prompt directly by entering "linux
> > single" at the grub prompt (if you're using grub)
>
> this is single user mode and redhats config tools may not work. they
> require an X server and if i am not mistaken X requires multiuser mode

As far as I've seen all of redhat's config/admin tools work primarily in
textmode. The GNOME version is an additional frontend.

Besides, singe user mode just means no daemons are automatically
started, there's really nothing stopping you from manually starting X
other than probably needing to start xfs first. PAM may or may not stop
anyone but root from logging in too.