IIRC:

'su' uses the profile (on redhat it's the .bashrc and .bash_profile) of
the user you start as.

'su -l <user>' uses the profile of the user you are going to (be it root
or some other user, the -l means login).

'su -l' without a user specified is equivalent to 'su -l root'

'su -' without a command switch specified is equivalent to 'su -l'

This is important because normally, users have a different command path
than root.  If you're a normal user and you su to root but you don't
specify the - or -l or even --login (they are all equivalent), you don't
get root's command path.  You can still run all of the root commands, you
just need to know and specify the full path to those commands.

If you're root and you su to another user without using the -l, you've
still got root's command path, but you may not have the normal userspace
command path.  You also don't have proper permissions to use most of the
commands in large parts of root's command path (/sbin for example).

For those new users out there, doing an su -l from a user account will ask
you for the password of the user your are going to.  Doing an su -l from
root to a user account will not ask you for the user's password.  su is a
very powerful command, understanding it can be very useful.

Jeff