On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 13:20, PHPTOm wrote:
> Is is possible and not terribly dangerous to resize a partition?  I have a
> drive that is one partition, about 6% used.

parted has always worked for me in resizing ext2/ext3 and FAT
partitions. I haven't heard any parted horror stories so I guess its
reliable. :)

Only annoying thing is parted lacks some functionality that would be
dead simple to implement. I'd really like to be able to just MOVE a
partition to a new position on the drive. This is just a block for block
copy and wouldn't require knowing anything about the filesystem used.

Also, last I checked it couldn't move the starting position of an ext2/3
partition for some reason. This could easily be accomplished with the
move code that doesn't exist yet. 'slide' the partition to its new
starting position, then resize it. Or the other way around as
appropriate.

If you want to get really slick, Resierfs supports online resizing, and
there's online resizing patches for ext2/3. And fun stuff like LVM...

If you want to resize NTFS, you're pretty much stuck with Partition
Magic.