TOm wrote:

>Is is possible and not terribly dangerous to resize a partition?  I have a
>drive that is one partition, about 6% used.

It is very dangerous to reduce the size of a partition without first
reducing the size of the filesystem on it by at least as much.  :)

Parted and qtparted were previously mentioned as solving this problem
which they do for ext2, ext3, fat16, fat32, linux-swap and reiserfs
according to the features section of http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/.
Parted of course resizes the partition and filesystem by the same amount
as single user function.  Current versions of parted are probably quite
reliable.

Other filesystems sometimes have resizing programs in their respective
tool packages, but some of these only increase the size.  For these
tools, obviously one needs to reduce the filesystem (if supported)
before reducing the partition size.  Conversely, to increase the size of
a filesystem, the corresponding partition must be increased first.

It is also important to know that parted supports MS-DOS, Intel GPT,
MIPS, PC98, Sun, BSD, and Mac partition tables/labels plus raw access.
If your disk partitions/labels are something else, parted will not be
easy to use since raw access would be the only (error prone) option.
I would guess that parted would be more safe to use on MS-DOS, PC98
and BSD partitions/labels than the other lesser used partition
table/label/map types.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>