Is the F12 the option that puts you into the machines setup?
Many manufacturers use this Compaq, Dell, Micron, and others.  It's a
partition from 10 - 30 megabytes that contains programs for
configuration, hardware testing, remote administration, etc...  Most
machines can live without this but it's a good thing to have if you have
a hardware problem. This is not exclusive to laptops. Compaq has long
used it in Servers and Desktops.

I remember this happening to someone else but it was a long time ago.
The person let Red Hat do the automatic partitioning, it erased the
setup partition.  The only way "I" know how to fix it is to rebuild the
whole thing. Some smarter LUGer may have a way to work around it.

You will need to setup and diagnostics disks from the manufacturer.
When you setup Red Hat you will need to manually partition the drive to
be sure the setup partition remains on the disk.

This should be a topic at an Install  Fest.  I can do a setup partition
clinic on a Compaq if anyone is interested.

Sam.