> I'd recommend saving the current MS Windows 98 MBR (first 512 bytes of
> the raw boot disk usually either /dev/hda or /dev/sda) to a file as soon
> as possible using Linux.

Why bother backing it up? Just boot a DOS/Win floppy or CD or whatever,
and 'fdisk /mbr'. Bam, its back. I wonder if that MBR code has even
changed in 20 years... I think NT uses a different MBR...

I've already explained my advice as to why not putting GRUB/LILO in the
MBR is a good idea:

http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2003-November/061733.html

... And it appears all my posts aren't getting archived because they're
signed. Does anyone else here use Evolution? What the flying f!@#? Guess
I won't sign this one.

Anyway, on multiboot systems I recommend putting GRUB/LILO on your Linux
root partition, and setting your root partition 'active'. This will
cause the windows MBR code to jump to the boot code on your root
partition, and it will happily boot grub/lilo for you from there.

The nice thing about this setup, is if windows decides to take over the
system, all you have to set your Linux root partition active again,
which can be done with windows FDISK, and you've got GRUB/LILO back. No
digging for a Linux rescue disk or CD, you just need the windows that's
hopefully already booted up on the system...