Rodney G. Garayt wrote:

>I had to re-install Win-98 and now I don't have dual-boot with RH 9.  I
>do I get Grub working again?  I've tried "Rescue" but what that does is
>seeemingly reconfigure the boot-loader and then goes into the update
>mode for RH.  It then decides that no upgrades are needed and exits
>notifying me that no changes will be made.
>My only choice seems to be to re-install RH unless there's a way to
>re-create the mbr with grub.

I'd recommend saving the current MS Windows 98 MBR (first 512 bytes of
the raw boot disk usually either /dev/hda or /dev/sda) to a file as soon
as possible using Linux.

Boot Linux from floppy or CD using the root kernel argument,
sd<a><n> where a is the Linux disk letter (usually a) and n is the
partition on that disk where the Linux root filesystem is located.

For example, if the root filesystem is on the first ATA disk on
partition 2 use:

rescue root=/dev/hda2

After the system boots up, start a shell as root and enter

# df -k
# mount

to be sure that the proper device (i.e. /dev/hda2) is mounted as /.

Now save the MS Windows 98 MBR, so it can be restored in an alternate
location in case it fails to boot after grub is installed in the MBR:

# dd if=/dev/hda of=/root/MBR-w98 bs=512 count=1

Now simply execute the grub install script on the boot disk:

# grub-install /dev/hda

Grub's master boot record should now be restored and hopefully it will
dual boot Linux and Win 98 as it did before.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>