Its not free, but I always recommend Xandros Deluxe. Its easy to install
and upgrade. Its based on Debian. Its fully compatible with the base
Debian repositories. It comes with Crossover Office and Plugin installed
so you can install Microsoft Office if absolutely neccesary. Or other
odd programs that you might need for work or school. For me this is
currently Filemaker 4 :( Xandros is the only distro my dad can half way
use without me constantly helping him.

Then when your ready for a free distro that requires some tinkering and
learning, I always recommend pure Debian. (Not trying to start a distro
war here, its just that 'apt-get install mythtv-frontend' is way way too
easy! :] )