No you don't want them to have "root" and do patches, it's not like M$
patches.  "root" is just to dangerous, I only use it if I must, and then
I'm out ASAP.  The standard user will never need to use "root" they will
kill a machine if it's used without restraint and full knowledge of what
they're doing.  I've not patched my systems to much.

I was going to change my kids W98 computers to RH 8. I can force my very
non-technical daughter to use Linux. She uses a floppy disk between home
and school (W2K) for home work. If she made a mistake on a report she
would be devastated. My son would have a stroke, he wouldn't be able to
run his games. My wife, forget it, she doesn't look at a computer as any
thing but a tool. And it better be very close the the tools at work.  I
setup a laptop for her and transfered Her eMail to the machine. All the
folders were closed when she opened Outlook, she kept telling me all her
eMail was deleted...
click, click, click....  Aint support fun.

I know guys in technology that flat out refuse to have anything to do
with Linux (and I thank God for that).  The mainframe guys I know love
Linux, "vi" is king for them. I know a guy with a HAM radio, he loves
Linux. I keep hearing technical people say "what would I use it for?".
They don't want to give up what they already know. I guess they look at
Linux like it's "GeoWorks", remember that OS, niche market.

If I knew why they should use Linux in place of M$ (not my reasons,
radical freak that I am) then I may be able to convince them. I would
then have to support them and I don't have the time.  If my wife had
someone say "read the man page."  She would be very direct with them
(She's a manager), nope, I wouldn't say it.  If someone said "read the
man page" to my mother, she would be very hurt.

Get your self comfortable with Linux and UNIX in general, then let them
use a laptop with Linux on it for a wile. See if it works out. Remember
you will be supporting the OS, Office, Browser, and eMail.

But I digress...

Sam

<snip>