I do this as well.  I keep a Gentoo Linux CD, utilities CD and *try* to keep a
OO CD with me.  I like the Knoppix idea.  I should also throw some LiveCDs in
there to give away as demos.

I also carry around a USB keychain drive all my utilities on it, it doesn't
work on really older computers of course but its saved me a couple times.  It
also has an encrypted partition with all the really sensitive data like
emergency passwords and my PGP revocation keys.

On Wednesday 07 January 2004 11:47 am, Samuel MacDonald wrote:
> That's a very cool idea, the CD's with Linux and M$ apps on them.
>
> Sam.
>
> Chris Frederick wrote:
> > Jason Jorgensen wrote:
> >> I do Linux consulting on the side and I am sure alot of you do as
> >> well. I was looking for something that might keep track of clients,
> >> let me add notes about them, and maybe generate billing statements
> >> for me based on hours worked.
> >>
> >> I would prefer a web interface.
> >>
> >> Even just a template I can use to make a bill would be good.
> >>
> >> Trying to get slightly more professional than my typical crayon on
> >> napkin billing statement asking for payment :)
> >>
> >> How do you people handle it?
> >
> > I handle mine with OpenOffice.org, and GnuCash.  GnuCash keeps track
> > of my checking, so it made sense to use it for billing too.  And I
> > just have a OpenOffice.org template for billing that I just fill out.
> > As far as integrating the two, I just don't get enough business (nor
> > do I want to, I miss my free time as it is) to warrant it.  If I want
> > to print an invoice, keep track of hours,  or do something fancy on
> > site, I ssh -X to my server at home.  I keep mini cds of Damn Small
> > Linux, Trinux, some dos/win32 tools (putty.exe), and a Knoppix cd in
> > my glove box just in case...
> >
> > Thats just my setup...
> >
> > Chris Frederick

Ben Maas - Technology Architect