I've brought a bunch of machines from RedHat 7.0 all the way up to
RedHat 9.0 using apt4rpm.  If they are largely vanilla machines it
goes pretty smoothly.  If you've updated the machine using Ximian it
becomes pretty hinky.

For the last couple machines I upgraded I simply removed all packages
that had ximian in the package name before I started and that made things
easier.  I removed all ximian packages by repeatedly invoking a command
something like this:

rpm -e `rpm -qa | egrep -y ximian`

I needed to invoke it repeatedly because each pass would free up some
dependent packages.

Note that I upgraded through each version (i.e. 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 8.0 and 9.0)
rather than doing it all in one big upgrade.  My thinking was that package
maintainers would be more likely to write helper scripts to move from the
previous version, and would be less likely to write scripts to move from any
version...

Kent