Just got back into town after the New Year's Holiday so I appologize if
this is too old; however, this is a similar problem I had, and I never
got it resolved!  My dial up would a) start, b) remain connected for
what seemed a random period of time, and c) mysteriously lose the
ability to see the Internet despite still being connected.  It was very
frustrating.  The default gateway was correctly added to the routing
table though I noticed when it was working, the gateway would appear as
its proper DNS FQDN while it would revert just to the IP value at the
point it had quit working.  I was never able to trace the source of the
trouble though.  All I ended up doing was hanging up and dialing again.
 I had better, more durable/stable connections at night, but if anyone
can figure out the issue here, I'd be curious.  I don't use dialup
anymore, but you never know...

Garrett