I'm curious how you will boot into it.  I've heard of new computer
BIOS's starting to support boot from USB.  And I though I recalled
someone claiming they could boot into linux this way.  Will you
just chroot?  Or do you plan on making a boot disk you
can chroot over to it?  What purpose will it serve?

I recently got a Gateway Internet Appliance thing to run off of
a USB harddrive.  I'm booting from a 32MB CF, mounting the USB
drive and chroot over to it.  Seems to work fine, considering its
not the faster USB2.0.