On Friday 20 February 2004 22:05, PHPTOm wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> A friend of my fiance, let's call her "Mel", needs a computer.  I decided
> to give Mel an old 460 mhz PIII dell.  It has 96 mg ram.
>
> Mel heard about Linux on MPR or something and is willing to try it out.
>
> I loaded SuSe on it and it is soooo slow.  Is there a distro out there that
> is designed specifically to run on old, slow machines with little ram.  Is
> it just KDE?  Is 450 MHZ not capable?  Right now she has an old (even
> slower) pII laptop.  Is there any way to optimize KDE to run as efficently
> as possible?  She needs Open Office.

It's just the memory used by KDE and some larger apps, like Mozilla.  Try
switching to a lower memory window manager and Firefox.  That or just buy the
memory, it's cheap.  I'm running on a dual PIII-450 with 1GB RAM and it's
fine.  I had 256MB before that and it did fine, until I started doing a lot
of development on it.

--
Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe
GPG signature at http://mtu.net/~jpschewe/gpg.sig.html