| (can't get my cdburner to work, my cdrom isn't mounting audio cds,
| trying to find the correct linmodem, and getting a battery monitor).

Linmodem. Tricky. It depends on the modem. I used the LinuxAnt.com drivers
to get the last Lucent P.O.S. winmodem I had to deal with working. $20 to
use all the features of your modem, but the drivers do work well. To me,
the $20 was worth it as I didn't have to run to BestBuy durring a
snowstorm to get a real modem.

battery monitor, try richt clicking on your panel and checking what
applets are available. Should be a battery monitor in there somewhere,
assuming you have the related kernel mumbo jumbo enabled. (Fedora's
installer may have done this for you if you selected a laptop install)

CDBurner is the the tricky in depth one. You have to enable IDE SCSI. I
don't know if this is the "right" way to do it on Fedora, but... ;)

Add the following lines to /etc/modules.conf:
alias scd0 sr_mod
alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
options ide-cd ignore=hda

Save file, run depmod -a

Modify your /boot/grub.conf so that you define your cdburner as an
ide-scsi device. The for me it looks like:

kernel /vmlinuz-whatever ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb hdc=ide-scsi

Modify things to reflect your system of course if hdc isn't yoru cd
burner.

Almost done, you have to modify your /etc/fstab file to reflect that
you're mounting a "SCSI" device now.
/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom udr,iso9660, noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

Also, do a ls -l /dev/scd0 and then groups yourusername, make sure you
have rw access to /dev/scd0.

Since you've changed a kernel boot paramater, it's one of the few times
you have to reboot Linux. When the reboot finishes, try a cdrecond
-scanbus and you're burner should show up.

Cunsult the CD Writing HOWTO at http://www.tldp.org/ for more. I use
gcombust for most of my cdburning, you may perfer something else.

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
 A password is like your underwear; Change it
 frequently, don't share it with others, and
     don't ask to borrow someone else's.