> I'm thinking out loud so give me a minute...
>
> The "/etc/fstab" could be pointing at the CDROM for boot
>
> If your using Grub "boot=/dev/cdrom" when it should be pointing to
> "/dev/hda/"
>     I'm using Grub on my laptop so I looked at that.
> If your using Lilo it could be pointing to "/dev/cdrom" when it should
> be pointing to "/dev/hda/"
>     My desktop is running Lilo but it's not plugged in...
>
> Be careful changing these settings, know where your partitions are
> point before you change anything.
>
> Have you tried the "fdisk /mbr" thing?
> If you do you will need to reinstall Linux
> You could use a W95 or W98 boot CD to do it.
>     Wack the partitions with Linux "cfdisk or fdisk"  first then use the
> DOS boot "fdisk /mbr"
> Then reinstall Linux.
> Power off between restarts.
>
> It's a somewhat tedious process but it doesn't take all that long.
>
> If all else fails, down load the "dban" iso for CD's. Burn a CD for dban
> and wipe the disk.
> Then install Linux.

I have a similar problem.  I originally installed redhat 9 on my
computer.  I had /boot, /, and swap partitions.  I tried installing
slack 9.1 on it, overwriting everything.  I got weird messages about it
running out of room so I deleted the first two partitions and made one
unified one.  when I installed again, it asked if I wanted to put the
boot loader on the mbr or on the first partition or something.  It said
the later was safer, so I did that.  now when I turn my computer on, it
gives me my bios splash screen, prints GRUB, then my monitor flickers
off and on, I get the splash screen again, and it prints GRUB again
until I turn it off.  Booting off a floppy gets me slackware without a
problem.  Redhat 9 uses grub and slack uses lilo so I believe grub's on
the mbr and my computer is booting off that.  Is there any way I can fix
this without reinstalling?  how do I tell my computer to boot off the
first sector or how do I delete/fix the mbr?