The CD drive is a bootable device (yes floppy is to...) and the boot
loader looked for it first, when it didn't find it failed to boot.  When
it looked for the floppy first it dropped through the list to "1st
IDE-HDD" or the "first boot device".

This is all stuff that M$ puts in it's OS as well but it's hidden with
many lines of code that search for hardware devices.

BTW where ( in what file ) did you make the change?
What boot loader are you using, Gimp, Lilo,  ???

Sam.