I don't understand why having floopy first would change anything.

The devices order was this:

CD
Floppy
ARMD-HDD
ARMD-FDD

I changed it to:

Floppy
CD
ARMD-HDD
1st IDE-HDD

I don't know whether making floppy forst or adding "1st IDE-HDD" as the 4th
is what did it.  I need to learn more about this stuff.