Hi Ken,

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 03:38:42PM -0600, Ken Fuchs wrote:
<snip>
> >One of my pet peaves is the live-cds, boot disks, that all require
> >GOBS of ram(for big initrd's), making them useless on older machines.
> >When knoppixs boots on a 128MB machine and says I don't have enough ram
> >that makes me mad(I know, I can boot without the gui).
>
> I'm confused.  Are you trying to build a small initrd for normal booting
> or a small initrd to install a distribution on a machine with low memory?

Well, yes, both.  I do some embedded stuff, and testing/work on
older machines.  So my concept of installing and running linux on these
class of machines is to boot(any way you can) run fdisk,
setup a filesystem, then copy a small fs(from CDROM or network) over,
chroot, edit fstab, run lilo,..

I have used custom kernels, and compiled in common ethernet drivers,
I really like the kernel nfsroot trick to boot off a NFS root with just
the kernel.  I like to have UMSDOS compiled in, in case I want to borgify
an old WIN/DOS machine without repartitioning.

Problem is, the more you add like this as a monolithic kernel, the
bigger it gets, and you always need some new driver for the next machine.
My goal is to switch to using a stock
distro kernel and initrd to do some of these things, that way I don't
have to compile the bloody kernel every time I want to penguinify
some machine.  I would just add the module I need to the initrd,
tweak the syslinux or initrd thing to do my bidding..

> A huge installation initrd on a CD-ROM could be loop mounted read only
> right on the CD rather than loaded into memory and the memory image loop
> mounted.  This way the installation should work (slowly) on even very
> low (8-16MB) memory machines.

I just boot to root on CDROM now, root=/dev/hdx, works great.
I think initrd pretty much by definition goes to RAM.
But I think I know what you mean, the cloop thing, maybe, eh?

All for now, cheers,

Karl.