Shawn wrote:
> Kernel compiling now with the "make dep" command...   Just out of
> curiosity, if there's a .config file in the /usr/src/linux directory
> anything that is either enabled or loaded as a module will be checked
> the next time I recompile the kernel?  Or, when I do the "make
> mrproper" will that negate those choices?

"make mrproper" will wipe out any changes you had in your .config;  I
think it reverts back to using the default one that comes with the
kernel source.

> Also, which is better:  A kernel with loadable modules, or a kernel
> with as few of modules as possible but kernel subsets enabled for
> specific devices?  I'm thinking it's the second one, but am unsure.

depends on what you're doing with the system.  for a firewall,
definitely use a monolithic kernel (no modules) and put as little as
possible into the kernel.  for a laptop, make it all modular as
unloading modules frees up memory, although since 2.2.x kernels and up,
unused modules don't automatically unload anymore.  they used to after
a minute of non-use under 2.0.x kernels, back in the good old days.  I
never understood why the newer kernels don't unload the unused modules.

> Thanks for the information everyone.  You'd think this P-166 w/128 MB
> ram could recompile the kernel faster....  =P

ouch!  if you're building a 2.4.x kernel, it will take a while.  You can
compile a kernel on a faster system and just move it over to save time.
I've done this in the past and it works great.
--
scot