On Feb 9, 2004, at 11:18 PM, Ken Fuchs wrote:

>>    Ken> Setting up NIS or NIS+ servers, slave servers and clients
>> would be
>>    Ken> another path that could be taken.
>
> rpgoldman wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to figure out at what point that becomes worthwhile.

it's worthwhile when you're not messing around with the network and the
number of machines actively used by folks with a common backing store
for /home is > 1. it's also nice to build your /usr/local in a single
location and export it across several machines so you don't have to
continuously go around adding executables for commonly used items.
coupled with a caching FS you've reduced the amount of aggregate update
headache considerably.

additionally, it removes the requirement that folks have their
configurations and such locally on a machine, which makes moving about
and being productive when a body's workstation takes a digger a snap.

> When all user home directories are on NFS filesystems, it is nice to
> have consistent "/etc" files exported by NIS/NIS+ for all client
> machines on the LAN.  Beyond a certain rather low number of clients,
> the
> reduction of effort that using NIS/NIS+ results in will be greater than
> the effort of maintaining the NIS/NIS+ server(s), [slave server(s)] and
> clients.  Another big factor is how often client machines and users are
> added or removed from the LAN; if this happens often, NIS/NIS+ becomes
> significant labor saver even on a small LAN.

{snipped misc. signatures}

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC