rpgoldman wrote:

>I've been trying to figure out at what point that becomes worthwhile.

When all user home directories are on NFS filesystems, it is nice to
have consistent "/etc" files exported by NIS/NIS+ for all client
machines on the LAN.  Beyond a certain rather low number of clients, the
reduction of effort that using NIS/NIS+ results in will be greater than
the effort of maintaining the NIS/NIS+ server(s), [slave server(s)] and
clients.  Another big factor is how often client machines and users are
added or removed from the LAN; if this happens often, NIS/NIS+ becomes a
significant labor saver even on a small LAN.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>