> > Maybe you should read up on it before you say things like that.
> >

> I have, I support users to run it, and I've run it myself.
>
> > Gentoo only releases the stable verions of everything. You
> can get all the
> > unstable versions of everything if you like though. So it's
> very stable.
>
> Untrue.

Well, correct me on this then, I thought gentoo only releases stable
versions unless you put USE="~ARCH".

> > Try and do a search for gentoo benchmarks and I think
> you'll find that
> > gentoo out performs most other distros.
>
> Also untrue, gcc is a very poor optimizing compiler, and
> produces code that,
> when optimized, runs much slower in many instances. Try over
> optimizing
> the avifile libs sometime. Using Intel's optimized compiler
> might get you
> further, but then you have to debug the odd problems that
> crop up when the programmer
> was relying on the way gcc does things.
>
> Do you really think there's something magical about compiling
> your own
> applications that makes them run faster? The same binaries
> compiled on
> another system then rolled into a .deb or .rpm will perform
> exactly the same,
> barring memory/cpu size/speed differences. gcc does not take
> into account your
> specific hardware configuration, nor should it.

Quick question... what is march for? I don't now if it's program specific,
like a ./configure option, or if it's used for the compiler, or whatever.

> > The only slow part about gentoo is installation, 'cause
> everything is done
> > by compiling the source. It's all done with an "emerge"
> function that
> > downloads the source and compiles it to the specifications
> you have set in a
> > USE var.
>
> A complete waste of time, energy(bio, and electrical) , and CPU.

Well, if you're in such a hurry, then use windows. Yes if you're using it in
a business that needs things done NOW, I can completely understand that.

> > I'm sorry, but apt-get isn't the answer all. You have to install the
> > program, then program-devel, then program-snmp, then
> program-mysql, then
> > program-whatever. It's annoying.
>
> Annoying? I prefer to only install what I need. If I have no
> wishes to use
> mysql with 'program' then I don't want program-mysql
> installed. Same goes
> for -devel.
>
> apt-get install foobar will install program-mysql if foobar
> needs it, if
> widgetapp-devel needs foobar-devel, that will also be installed.

K, what I'm talking about with that is, with gentoo you only have to install
foo once and it will use all the settings in USE instead of installing
foo-devel, foo-mysql, etc.

Yes, you can install only what you need, that's why you take them out of
your USE settings. With .rpm or .deb they are compiled the same way, I know
that. But they are precompiled, and you do have to install several of them
if you want all the options. For my needs I have to compile many things by
hand instead of using a .rpm or .deb.

Everything I go by is from experience or reading docs on things. I just find
gentoo to be more useful for my needs.

Please feel free to correct me on anything. If I'm wrong I'd like to know.
Then I'll have learned something!