On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 01:13:49PM -0600, Josh Close wrote:
> Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:
> >In other words, it's the slowest most unstable distro you've ever used,
> >as for being easy to maintain, apt-get update && apt-get upgrade on any
> >.deb or .rpm based distro.
>
> Maybe you should read up on it before you say things like that.

I have, I support users to run it, and I've run it myself.

> Gentoo only releases the stable verions of everything. You can get all the
> unstable versions of everything if you like though. So it's very stable.

Untrue.

> Try and do a search for gentoo benchmarks and I think you'll find that
> gentoo out performs most other distros.

Also untrue, gcc is a very poor optimizing compiler, and produces code that,
when optimized, runs much slower in many instances. Try over optimizing
the avifile libs sometime. Using Intel's optimized compiler might get you
further, but then you have to debug the odd problems that crop up when the programmer
was relying on the way gcc does things.

Do you really think there's something magical about compiling your own
applications that makes them run faster? The same binaries compiled on
another system then rolled into a .deb or .rpm will perform exactly the same,
barring memory/cpu size/speed differences. gcc does not take into account your
specific hardware configuration, nor should it.

> The only slow part about gentoo is installation, 'cause everything is done
> by compiling the source. It's all done with an "emerge" function that
> downloads the source and compiles it to the specifications you have set in a
> USE var.

A complete waste of time, energy(bio, and electrical) , and CPU.

> I'm sorry, but apt-get isn't the answer all. You have to install the
> program, then program-devel, then program-snmp, then program-mysql, then
> program-whatever. It's annoying.

Annoying? I prefer to only install what I need. If I have no wishes to use
mysql with 'program' then I don't want program-mysql installed. Same goes
for -devel.

apt-get install foobar will install program-mysql if foobar needs it, if
widgetapp-devel needs foobar-devel, that will also be installed.

> It's all a matter of opinion though. How mad would you be if I told you I'm
> writing this from Win2k Pro, with MS Outlook, sent from MS Exchange?

I'd tell you I already knew that from the headers of your message.