I haven't been following this thread so forgive me if this has already
been mentioned.

I had a similar problem with a Redhat install on an old HP Omnibook 800.
The problem turned out to be that the defaults for the kernel I built
was using features that weren't available on a P-166. Once I changed the
target CPU and rebuilt the kernel everything was fine.

I also seem to recall hearing about someone having a similar type of
issue that was wrapped up in support for hyperthreaded CPUs if you're on
the other side of the tech frontier.

--rick